Thursday, January 29, 2009

Phlebotomy can be dangerous. Medicine in general, actually.

Scott was drawing blood on a lady today with a syringe, because we were drawing from her hand veins. He popped the top on the needle then went about his business.

"Dude is your lip bleeding?"
"Uh no I don't think so... why?"
"I think you got a little blood on your lip."

I examined it, decided he was already cut on his lip but gave him a paper towel and he wiped it off. He came back and showed us his lip. He wasn't cut at all. He got that lady's blood on him.

So we were worried for a little while, because the lady was getting tested for Hepatitis B, among other things. But then we remembered... Scott has his vaccinations!!

Moral of the story: Be careful with blood, and get your vaccinations.

3 comments:

AB said...

That is such a big fear of mine! Scary!

kacie said...

that's so way gross
i know you're a careful person, but, i still feel like saying.. be careful, jean!!! you and your phlebotomy

Jean said...

I know... I will be careful. I accidentally poked my glove through with a used needle in Bolivia... that was kind of scary...