Sunday, May 2, 2010

Provo City Half-Marathon


























I ran my first half-marathon yesterday!!!!!! Total time of about 2 hours and 15 minutes which is about 10:20 splits. Didn't quite reach my goal of 10 minute splits but that's alright, I finished! If those of you in Provo remember, the weather was horrendous... it literally rained, winded, hailed, or snowed the entire time except maybe a stretch of 2 miles. By the end I was entirely soaked and couldn't feel my hands. What a beast of a race!

At the end there was a couple that was irritating the crap outta me--they'd walk until I caught up to them then take off running. Did it like three times!!! I was so bugged, at the end I kicked it hard and passed them right at the end. Felt great!!! That's what they get for using me as their pacing gauge! Ha!! And when I finished I wasn't even breathing hard a minute later. I totally could've gone faster. But whenever I race I get scared of pooping out early so I always end with excess energy. Maybe I'll be braver next time and just go hard regardless.

Many thanks to Austin, Girl Jamie, Caroline, and Boy Jamie for cheering me on!! They were so great, cheered, took pictures, rapped (Girl Jamie did haha) and it was so motivating, I loved it! Austin caught me with 3-ish miles left to fuel me with a power bar--I was so hungry! Tip for next time: wake up earlier and eat a bigger breakfast. And use a power gel halfway through. And carbo-load a few days before. Haha. But it was great, I am super sore today but I feel so accomplished! I never ever in my life imagined I could ever run this much and I'm so happy I was able to! :)

No comments: