Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I just had the strangest experience

This old woman, over 80 years old, just came in to get her blood drawn. She is the sweetest old lady, so nice and happy regardless of her painfully arthritic hands and inability to lift her arms up on the chair to get her blood drawn. So I had her lay it on her lap and drew her from down there. The son, still old enough to be my grandpa, was so incredibly grateful to me for getting her the first time and for being so careful with her. He just emanated gratitude from his face! Now the strange part, is it almost made me tear up!

I think it is because he was so grateful which made me think 1) he really loves his mother, also evidenced by his taking her to her doctor's visit and 2) his mother must have gone through lots of painful procedures in her life. Both of which made me tear up, almost.

There are so many people in so much pain in this world! I see so many every day just through patients. Some are cranky about it but some are so kind and wonderful and happy regardless of their many problems. I hope I can be that way too!

No comments: