Monday, January 18, 2010

two day campout in st. george

It was Thursday night and Austin and I were talking about the weekend and what his friends were doing and how going down to St. George would be so so so fun. Too bad his subie is semi-out-of-commission... after a quick phone call to my dad the next day, we got the OK and took my car down to St. George that night for the weekend!

We got there around 2am, went through some bumpy roads to our campsite, and tried to sleep. Austin succeeded much better than me, ha. His dad let us use their 15 degree sleeping bags which we thought would do the trick but I was freezing! I didn't get very much sleep that night... but it was alright.

The next morning after feasting on apples & cinnamon oatmeal and a banana, we headed off to climb with Landon and Jeff! This is the first climb we did. I finished it! It was so high, over 100 feet... we started where you can see Landon and Austin, and it ends at that little cave crevice up there.
Then we did this second climb--here's Austin climbing it. I love watching him climb. :)
You can't tell from this picture how tall or steep it is.. but it was! It was a really cool climb, lots of different holds. Super hard though. You go along the edge that goes diagonally up and left. I'm surprised I made it up. I almost gave up a couple of times. But I conquered it in the end! And it was a 10a so I'm happy :)
Then after lunch (ramen with veggies and chicken) the boys did another climb while I went exploring then Austin and I went on a run. I'm training for a half-marathon (still picking which one... either in May or June) so we went on a 5-mile run along this path. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was absolutely perfect. First time in a long time that I could just wear shorts and a t-shirt. We ended up going almost 6 miles! It was really good. Austin ran most of it barefoot (because of this book called Born to Run which you all should read--it'll totally change your perspective on running!) and was good enough to run with me even though I'm way way way slower than him. :)

We met up with Landon and Jeff again to go bouldering because I wanted to see what outdoor bouldering was like. I didn't do anything though, I was pooped! But I watched the boys tinker around. Then we headed back towards the city to meet up with Austin's friends who had also gone down to visit another friend in St. George. We ate at In-n-Out together then watched Hot Rod at their friend Petty's house, then went hot tubbing. Way fun!! Finally, we headed back to the mountains to find a campsite for the night. It was FREEZING. And coyotes started howling which freaked me out, and when they started howling again they sounded way closer and it was scary. And cold. So I didn't sleep very well again, haha, but well, we were roughing it. We got up at 6am, picked up Frog, and headed back to P-town for church and made it!

It was quite the trip. So so so fun!!! I'm excited for summer when it's not as cold. I absolutely loved it. What a good weekend!!!

No comments: