Monday, July 19, 2010

cheap entertainment

I was sitting in ward council yesterday morning when they started discussing the upcoming ward camping trip. There's a girl in our ward, Korean, who is getting baptized the same day, but later in the afternoon. They were debating whether or not she would come. So one girl, super loud and one of those annoying RMs, you know, talks about her mission constantly and brings it up every second possible, starts asking if Koreans ever go camping. Someone else says of course they do, the Bishop says Japanese people do, they keep arguing whether or not Koreans go camping. I'm sitting there, amused, yet feeling somewhat invisible, as they don't even realize that I'm there. Then the girl starts telling everyone to "Check the tags of your tents and see if any of them say 'Made in Korea' or have Korean writing--it's just a bunch of circles and straight lines, that's what it looks like." By this time I'm just staring at the girl in front of me, incredulous, as we both silently laugh about how they still aren't realizing I'm sitting in the room. Finally someone says "Why don't we just ask the Korean?" and loud girl looks over and is surprised and says she didn't know I was Korean.

All in all, it was a rather entertaining meeting.

One thing confuses me--why would tents being made in Korea signify that Koreans camp? Everything we own is made in China or Bangladesh or wherever but I'm pretty sure they don't use all of the items we do. And secondly, why would there be Korean writing on it? Yeah, this girl is nuts.

I mean, I should be nicer, but she just drives me up the wall.

In other news, last night was also eventful. I was finally about to fall asleep, around 1am, when the girls upstairs start being loud as heck and literally yelling across their apartment to each other and laughing super loud, etc. After putting in ear plugs and still hearing them quite well, I stood up and banged on the ceiling as hard as I could.

It hurt my hand (ceilings are harder than I thought!) but it worked!

Sadly, however, the moment had passed. And it took me another hour to fall asleep. And for that, I curse them to the high heavens and hope they land in a mosquito-infested marsh with no deet to protect them.

3 comments:

Devin & Rebecca said...

Hahaha! I love you Jean! I can't believe that your ward council had the conversation: ridiculous. And I'm glad that you actually banged on the ceiling, way to go!

Becks said...

Wait. Why would a person not camp because of their race/ethnicity/biological makeup? It's like everyone who lives in the U.S. thinks the entire world outside of their country is full of Neanderthals. Oh. Minus Britain. And France. France is just full of dirty Frenchies who don't bathe. ={P

Ashley said...

this made me laugh and cringe at the same time, kkkkkkk.