Friday, March 19, 2010

Happy 51st Birthday, 엄마!

Today my mom turns 51. But you look at these pictures and tell me how young she looks. :) She is beautiful.My mom is a happy person. She is a friendly person. She goes out of her way to make people feel welcome, comfortable, at ease, etc. I know you know this if you've ever visited my house. She'll stuff you to the rafters then send you home with more food in your hands. She smiles and laughs a lot and enjoys life. I love laughing with her. She is hilarious. :)My mom is a spiritual person. She has a great relationship with God. She loves the scriptures, she loves prayer, she loves the Gospel. She shows it in how she treats people, where she puts her priorities, and in her faith and optimism for life. She always got us to read scriptures every night when we were growing up, to do family home evening no matter how busy or cranky we all were about it, and to pray before leaving for school even if we were about to miss the bus. She taught us Gospel principles and how to lead good and honest lives. She always works so hard in her callings and in helping others. She is an amazing example of how I want to show God my love for Him and His children.My mom is smart. She speaks two languages, well enough to do translation jobs. She became a real estate agent all on her own. She has street smarts--I watched her barter in Korea once and was amazed at her skills. She raised three kids and sent two on missions. She knows how to cook with the best of them. She loves to read and does so as much as she can. She emphasized the importance of education in our home and I am forever grateful for the discipline she taught me.My mom loves her family. One example I think of is when at church a few weeks ago, the lesson was on Abraham and how he had to sacrifice his son, Isaac. When asked if she could sacrifice my oldest brother, Ted, her eyes immediately filled with tears. That's how powerfully she loves my family. Even talking about a hypothetical situation floods her with emotion. I know she would do anything and everything for us, for me. She wouldn't even hesitate. She is what a mother should be. But she does it in the best way. She doesn't feel the need to brag about us or show off or do things for us so that we don't learn. But we still know how much she loves us and I am so grateful for that. She still takes such good care of her first family too, my grandparents and aunt and uncles. She's always thinking about them and putting them first. She is so selfless--I don't know if I could ever be as good as she is.Happy Birthday, Mom, and thank you for all you've ever done, still do, and will do for me. You are the greatest and such a good example to me. I love you so much. :)

2 comments:

Devin & Rebecca said...

Your mom is so cute! Reading your post made me think of my own mom and how much she has done for me. I am so grateful for great moms like yours and mine.

PeterK said...

Yay Moms!

I miss mine now.