Thursday, March 11, 2010

I'm learning all sorts of things in my psychology class. You know how people always say if you're feeling unhappy just smile and you'll start feeling better? Did you know that it's true???

"The facial feedback hypothesis proposes that expressions amplify our emotions by activating muscles associated with specific states, and the muscles signal the body to respond as though we were experiencing those states. Thus, when we simulate the facial expressions normally associated with happiness, we may feel happier. Similarly, the behavior feedback hypothesis assumes that if we move our body as we would when experiencing some emotion (shuffling along with downcast eyes, as when sad), we are likely to feel that emotion to some degree."

Ok so I guess since these are hypotheses they may not necessarily be true but I still think there's some truth to it. I'll have to try it. Usually I'm a fan of feeling out your emotions instead of just changing them so you can be happier, because I feel like it's important to feel different things and not just cover them up. But I know there's a point where you need to change and lift yourself up again, that there's no point in feeling downtrodden, or pitying yourself endlessly. So let's try to be happier, people! Ready set go!

No comments: