Saturday, March 13, 2010

rex lee run!

see us on the left?

Today I ran my first 10K race!! It was the Rex Lee Run, at BYU, with proceeds going towards cancer research. If you want to read every single detail about it, read on... if not, I'm not offended. Just scan the pictures. :)

I was really nervous kind of all week, and then last night I couldn't sleep very well and ended up not getting that much sleep. Just had some oatmeal for breakfast then headed out. Opened the door apprehensively... IT WASN'T RAINING! Somehow we got the miraculous 10% chance that it WOULDN'T rain this morning!! So I happily headed over to meet my friends from the clinic; we were all running together. Only Andrea, Mike, and I were there so we walked over and met up with Erin and Travis. We all talked about how nervous we've been, none of us could sleep, well Andrea was up with her baby all night b/c he was sick, and how we had to beat Travis (still don't know if Erin beat him!!) and stuff like that. They made fun of me for not having any music to run to... and then we were off!

And guess who I see on the sidelines.... Austin!! He biked over and took pictures of me racing around. How awesome is he?! It made me so happy :):)

So we started off--the hill was in the beginning. I was pretty tired after but then it was the long 900 E stretch downhill so I decided to take advantage of gravity and let it pull me down. I tried to make up for the slow time at our first mile (10:40! what the heck) so I went fast. Talk about adrenaline and a million runners around you to distract you from your tired legs. I just concentrated on passing people and such. It was way longer than I thought it would be so I was kinda tired at the end but I didn't want to slow down so I tried to keep the pace up. But I was doing super well at the 3 mile mark--26 minutes! I was hitting about a 9 minute pace! And definitely made up for the slow first mile.

So I'm running and running and guess who I see... yes, Mr. Austin Bond Goff, waiting for me at a corner in his running gear. He ran with me the last two miles! He is so sweet. I was so tired I couldn't talk at all or even give him bones but it was nice to have someone to push me. I was so tired rounding the last lap of the track but I booked it the last 100 meters as fast as I could and finished the race! Passed two girls that had been ahead of me the entire time too! And ended up running it in 54 minutes!! :):):)

right after finishing and holding back two urges to puke

For you hardcore people that are super fast, 54 is good for me b/c I was hoping for even a 60 minute finish. So happy day!

And it started sprinkling while we were walking home. We missed the rain! :)
Mike and Andrea--yay we did it!!

And then I got to go with two of my favorite girls, Nicki and Jamie, to Saigon, our favorite restaurant, for lunch and bonding time! Then Nicki and I went shopping for cheap produce and scored big!

It's been such a good day and it's not even 3pm!

Don't I have the best looking and most awesome guy ever??

3 comments:

none said...

Last picture subtitle....false

PeterK said...

Yay! Good job Jean!

I'm so excited for you!

kacie said...

you're so adorable in those pictures :)

i'm so happy for you that's amazing